A GUIDE TO PC ALLOY
Material Safety Data Sheet
What is PC/ABS?
blend of Polycarbonate and ABS. The PC contributes impact and
heat distortion resistance, while the ABS contributes
processability and chemical stress resistance, and cost
reduction below PC.
What are the properties of PC/ABS?
- Properties of PC/ABS include the following:
- impact resistance between ABS and PC, (10-14 ft.-lb./in.)
- strength and stiffness between PC and ABS
- heat resistance superior to ABS, less than PC
- flame retardant system more stable in processing than ABS
- very good indoor UV light color stability
- low temperature impact and ductility
- superior processability to PC
When should PC/ABS be used?
be used for appearance housings, and structural parts which
need stiffness, gloss, impact and heat resistance which is
higher than ABS, but requiring costs below Polycarbonate.
Housings requiring UL V0, but not 5VA-that is, portable
electronic devices, not permanently fixed electric devices are
also good applications for PC/ABS. Others include appearance
parts requiring color fastness under interior UV light,
automotive interior parts where temperature environment is
between 180 F and 230 F - "above the beltline"
applications, and where non-shattering ductility is required
like instrument panel retainers. Applications such as painted
exterior automotive parts requiring low temperature impact
greater than 10 ft.-lb./in. is another place PC/ABS should be
used. Any outdoor application should be painted.
What is made with PC/ABS?
- portable appliances, flashlights, phones
- laptop computer cases
- keyboards, monitors, printer enclosures
- automotive instrument panel retainers
- wheel covers
- small tractor hoods
- non-professional safety helmets
What is PC/PBT?
blend of Polycarbonate and PBT. The PC contributes impact,
stiffness and heat resistance, while the PBT contributes
chemical resistance. The usual moisture sensitivity of the
crystalline PBT is overcome by the PC in the blend. Some
grades are made using PET instead of PBT.
What are the properties of PC/PBT?
- impact resistance
- low temperature impact resistance, ductility
- heat resistance
- chemical resistance
When should PC/PBT be used?
effective where impact and chemical resistance is needed, and
where low temperature impact, requiring a ductile failure mode
(non-shattering breaks) is necessary. Applications such as
bumpers and body moldings on autos and lawn & garden
equipment, where toughness and resistance to stress cracking
from fuels and lubricating fluids is required are good uses
for PC/PBT. Parts made with PC/PBT are generally thick
sections, as material does not flow well enough for thin wall
design. The shrinkage varies based upon the relative content
of the PBT, and therefore tool may be unique for this
material, that is, it is not easy to substitute it for other
What is made with PC/PBT?
- automotive bumpers
- automotive side moldings
- lawn and garden tractor hoods
- hand tool housings
- irrigation components
- wiring connectors (PC/PET)
UL Information on PTS, LLC PCA-3013
UL Information on Triblend® PCA-2010